Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Vacation Envy

Matt's dad and his wife are in Japan this week. They're getting to do an organized tour that stretches from Tokyo to Osaka. I am SO JEALOUS!

When I was in high school, my mom's job sent her to Japan for a year. My dad took a leave of absence and brought the three of us with him to meet her after she got settled in. We went to an international school for the rest of the school year and despite my heavy resistance to the move, I loved it. I wish I could go back.

We've often talked of taking a vacation in Japan and bringing my mother as our translator (I've lost the little Japanese I learned from the years of lessons she dragged us to while we were little and the semester of Japanese I took at Osaka International School). I never made it to Mt. Fuji, and I'd also like to visit Hiroshima, plus take a few days to visit our old home and school.

We had some great times in Japan. Like when our cousin, PJ, got attacked by the wild monkeys in Minoh, or when the three of us girls were flashed on our walk home from church....wait, did I say great times? The Post Office ladies all loved my dad - he always wrote in his travel logs that it was because he was so handsome! (and blonde/blue-eyed) He made a great Mr. Mom for 9 months, riding home from the store on his pink bike with a big set of t.p. in the basket every week. :)

I'm trying to plan a vacation for the Harnation to take this year. We'd been talking about going to D.C. or Savannah - two very different places - for our anniversary, and to see Matt's dad in California around Christmas time. Now I think we'll try to do Savannah in the fall because we've already got some stuff planned around our anniversary. I'd like to do D.C. next spring, partly because it takes longer to see and also because I need more time to save up/plan in order to do it properly. We stayed in a B&B last year in Asheville, and will probably try to do that again (or in a historic inn) when we go to Savannah. If you have any suggestions on where to stay or what to see, let me know!!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Actually, when we were flashed, it was just you and me. Remember? We'd gone to Senri-Chuo and took the train to Yamada and were walking home from there. He was standing with next to his car with the door open so oncoming traffic couldn't see him but passersby definitely could.

That was the moment I lost my innocence.

RBecks said...

Actually, Amy was on the other side of the street. She didn't see it, but we were scared she would and waited on her to catch up so we could stick together after that.

Amanda said...

so right. luckily for her, she was able to hold on to her innocence for another good year or so.