Thursday, April 3, 2008

Customer Service Bugging Customer

About a year ago, we bought our first new car (my dream car), a hard top convertible. Right after we bought it, the corporate office hounded us with surveys on our satisfaction - which was understandable and moderately appreciated considering it was such a big decision/purchase.

Last weekend, we took my car into the dealer to have a software patch installed. There's a problem with the way the radio works where when it receives signals it thinks are noisy, it goes through an incorrect conversion algorithm that results in the bass boosting.

Now I know that having a ghetto fabulous pimp-ride sound system is supposed to be cool, but I HATE IT when it does that. I get so embarrassed when I'm at a stop light and the bass starts rocking the car.

Since the bass boost was a known problem (plus my car is still under warranty), the fix was free. We just dropped it off at the dealer while we ran errands and then picked it up a little later. It was literally no big deal.

But here's the annoying part... the car manufacturer's corporate office and the dealer both called Matt (on his cell phone) to make sure we were happy with our service, and then they email me today again bugging me about the service. I know another survey is coming in the mail too. And on top of that, if you don't give the dealer the highest possible rating, they call you again asking what they can do to make it better. (What's wrong with "good" anyway?)

It was a 10-minute fix, what's the big deal? Maybe everyone else likes being harassed to rate their service experiences, but I don't. If there was a problem, rest assured, they'd know about it. Since they haven't heard from me, they should consider the service satisfactory and leave me alone.

No comments: