Friday, April 25, 2008

Ultimate Scrimmage

I went to the ultimate frisbee game last night, which turned out to be a scrimmage. There are more teams than field space this year, so they had a couple of pre-season scrimmages all at the same field location by simply combining a few of the teams. This meant that I still have no idea who is on Matt, Amanda, and Wade's team.

When I walked up, one of the organizers (and their team captain from last year) asked me why I wasn't signed up to play. Honestly, I have absolutely no desire to play ultimate frisbee. That would mean making a commitment that I would actually show up each week, let alone play. No, I prefer sitting on the sidelines in my chair and pretending to know what the heck is going on. In fact, I like that I have three people to come watch each week... it's a good excuse to skip the gym (and drill sergeant Amanda's jazzercise class) for a day.

Watching the games introduced me to a whole different culture last year. They are required to have two girls on the field at all times (the minimum... they never have more than this), and they don't pass to them very often. Also, there is a segment of most of the teams that prefer cold Nattie Lights to Gatorade. (I will never understand this, especially when running around in 95 degree heat!!) After a game last year, instead of high fives, they passed out jello shots.

This all makes for pretty good entertainment. I like going and am completely content to cheer from the sidelines instead of getting in on the action.

Here are a few photos from last night.





This is Matt after a valiant attempt (nose dive) to catch the frisbee in the scoring zone.










As you can see, Wade was very happy that I came to watch him play!














Tyson kept me company while the others were off taking their jello shots. Ace had to stay home because he doesn't know how to "play nice" with other dogs.








Amanda is WIDE OPEN, guys!!

3 comments:

Mrs. Pie said...

Awww Tyson! He obviously needs a kiss from Aunty.

My legs are big. Can you crop them out of both of those pictures?

Mrs. Pie said...

hahaha good work. But my legs are still showing in that picture of me running.

Lynne said...

We can't go the next two Thursdays, but count us in for the 15th.