Monday, April 21, 2008

Momma's Girl


Growing up, I always considered myself a Daddy's Girl. Amanda and I fought over who got to sit next to him at the dinner table every night, and I always tried to be on one side of him during church so I could snuggle against his shoulder during the sermon.

I never loved my mother less; our relationship was just different. I went through a horrible pre-teen stage where I treated my mom very badly in middle school for a couple of years, which I deeply regret now. But, since graduating from college and getting married, our relationship has really grown.

My mom is a wealth of wisdom and always gives good advice and encouragement, especially marriage-related. I remember her telling Amanda and me once that we needed to be nicer to our husbands!

As my dad has gained two sons-in-law in the past several years, he's also gained river and camping buddies who are much more enthusiastic about it than my mom and me - which has left more time for us to spend together.

Although it seemed we both hated shopping while I was growing up, it's become a nice pass time for us recently. On Saturday morning, my mom volunteered to go with me to the Botanical Garden Spring Plant Sale. It was less about buying something than just spending the morning together in the nice weather. (Or maybe she just wanted me to come so I could carry her plants for her...) ;) We topped it off with a nice lunch at a very girly place... Main Street Cafe, and a girly movie, "Enchanted."

Although I regret what a brat I was to my mom growing up, I'm not sure I'd change how close we were then. Our relationship is so much better now, I don't think I'd be able to appreciate it as much if it had always been this way.

Thanks for putting up with me, mom!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post- I hate that we can't take back how we treated our parents in our youth- but the rich time with them now is such blessing.

RBecks said...

Yeah, and there's a lot I would take back!

You're right though, the time now is truly a blessing. I just hope I appreciate it enough.

Mrs. Pie said...

Sounds like someone's fishing for a new knitted sweater!

Haha, just kidding.

But I only fought with you over that spot next to dad because it was the most strategic seat at the dinner table.. right in the middle of food traffic.