Wednesday, April 23, 2008

So Much for the Quiet BB Gun


So, last night Matt and I sat on the back patio after dinner while he played with his new toy, the Crossman Phantom G1 Xtreme (that does sound extreme!). He finally gets the barrel to break and does the load/single pump thing. Then we decide that he should just take a shot towards the back fence to see how it works.

POW! It was as loud as his 22-caliber rifle. Yikes! We were kind of shocked and sheepishly looked around to see if any of our neighbors were still out in their yards. Just 15 minutes earlier, the people behind us were in their back yard putting (right behind the fence!!). How embarrassing.

We walked to the far back corner of the yard to check out the fence and found the embedded pellet stuck halfway into the almost 3/4 inch thick panel. This is not like the BB gun I played with growing up... those things would bounce right off of you (as I learned from experience).

Now my jokes about Matt shooting the neighbor kids who hang over our fence and harass our dogs didn't seem as funny any more. We can't hide from the den, shooting out of the window without anyone hearing us. Too bad.

So, I told Matt that it wouldn't hurt my feelings if he wanted to trade it in for the multi-pump, but much quieter/less lethal version. Luckily I still had the receipt in my black-hole-of-a-purse in case he decides that's what he wants to do.

1 comment:

Mrs. Pie said...

At least it will kill the blue jays more efficiently