
Matt and I have been looking through some prints of Auburn landmarks at auburnart.com recently, trying to find a good graduation present for the engaged couple. (As upcoming Auburn grads and future newly weds, Amy and Ryan will need something Auburn-ish to decorate with!)
My favorite is a watercolor by Auburn grad James Dean (not that James Dean) of Toomer's Drugs. We have one of his watercolors in our living room and I told Matt that this one goes to the top of my birthday wish list. :)
One of my sorority sister's family bought Toomer's Drugs several years ago. It was in jeopardy of being replaced with something else, but they have kept it in business as an Auburn landmark. It's not really a pharmacy anymore, but you can still buy sandwiches and their famous fresh-squeezed lemonade at their old-fashioned soda bar when you stop in to buy a roll of t.p. to roll the giant tree across the street. I don't know if they still own the store or not, but am very glad that it's been preserved.
Auburn is a really neat little town. It's small-town-charm-meets-big-city-suburb. It has a really good mix of old stores and buildings along with a lot of the new and trendy places as well. It's really pretty too - not just the town, but the school as well. The campus is changing and even prettier than when I went to school there just a few years ago. (I wish they'd finished that enormous and gorgeous new engineering building while I was there!)
I miss Auburn!
No comments:
Post a Comment