Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Car Talk

About three weeks ago, Matt and I went to Atlanta for the weekend. He went for an HPDE (High Performance Drivers Education) at Road Atlanta, and I went to see my old roommates from college to have a girls weekend of shopping and hanging out.

Back in September, Matt got his "play car", and I spent a lot of time complaining about being a car widow while he spent all of his time getting it running and upgrading several things on it. (I have to admit, though, it really is a cool toy)

He's always been into cars. In college, his friends even started their own AU-sanctioned car club. So, I knew what I was getting into.

The Wednesday before we went to Atlanta, the car broke down on the way home from Wed. night Bible study. Thankfully, we were in separate cars, so I went home to get the 4Runner and towed Matt's broken best friend home. Then he had to spend the rest of the time before our trip replacing the alternator and I watched our Netflix movies alone.

Here he is driving it on the track in Atlanta:

I told him that after the weekend, I needed a week that was car-speak-free. Then the other night, on the way home from dinner, he stopped mid-story to say, "Oh wait, that's car related, nevermind, I'm not allowed to talk about it." I felt horrible.

I don't want him to feel like he can't talk to me about what's on his mind (which, unfortunately for me, is 99% car-related), but sometimes I do need a break from it. I don't understand what he's talking about most of the time anyway, and it's hard to stay interested in the conversation. This is probably how he feels when I go off about planning my flower beds, but he's always very patient with me.

So, I apologize and try to make a compromise. When we only talk about cars, we're not talking about me (here lies the root of the problem). Sometimes I get tired of talking about the car because I like to feel more important. (boy, do I sound selfish!) Matt tells me that we can spend more time talking about planning trips and other things we can do together, and I tell him that we (he) can talk cars.

Of course, I would never ask him to cut back on listening to "Car Talk". I love that radio show, and enjoy listening to it with him on Saturday mornings. The best part is watching him try to figure out the problem before they say it. He's so smart!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Matt, in a conversation with me: "Blah blah blah cars... blah blah blah blah driveshaft.. blah blah horespower... blah blah blah I love cars.. blah blah blah (big car words)... blah blah blah.. Hey, Amanda, where did you go?"

Matt, during a movie: "Did you see that Blah Blah Blah (Car Name) cross the street in the background? They stopped making them after 1957 with the blah blah blah (minute car detail)..."

Matt, in a conversation with an astronaut--
Astronaut: "I just got back from a 3-week mission to Mars."
Matt: "Really? Speaking of cars, I blah blah blah (something about his BMW)..."

RBecks said...

He definitely does the movie thing.

Driving on the highway, he's constantly turning his head to look at cars while I'm talking to him. I once told him I wasn't sure if it was worse for him to stare at cars or at girls... but I'm glad it's only cars!

I could do a whole post on how much he, his dad, and his brother all love cars!

Lynne said...

I didn't know he got to race it on a track - that is so cool!

RBecks said...

Yep. He's got another HPDE in June at the track in B'ham. He did the first one last fall when we went to visit his dad outside San Francisco. He drove his dad's Corvette that weekend at Thunderhill Raceway. It was really cool!