About nine months ago, I succumbed to the temptation that is satellite radio. Honestly, I was just sick of the same 20 song set that they always play on the local FM stations, and became a commercial-free satellite radio junkie during the free "intro" period I got when we bought my car.
My favorite Sirius stations are Left of Center and Alt Nation. These aren't nearly as heavy/screaming/hard core stations as they might sound. Rather, they play more under-the-radar bands which are generally of a mellow but fun nature. I never knew I had so many favorite bands that I'd never heard before. I even considered buying Matt a radio for Christmas so I wouldn't miss out when we rode in one of his cars (plus, there's NO radio in the beamer).
In the last couple a months, it seems like they've begun playing several bands that have obscene names. The attraction to naming your band after a crude slang word for part of the human anatomy or a curse word is lost on me.
The biggest problem with all of this is that the names of the band show up on the radio screen. It's embarrassing when you have a friend riding with you and something like "f-you" lights up on the dash.
What's also odd is that the songs are actually pretty clean. Not even close to the obscenity in what you'd find on the local FM stations. So, what gives?
Can't they just stick with names like Spoon, Modest Mouse, The Shins, Coconut Records?? What's wrong with a band name that you aren't embarrassed to tell your grandmother?
1 comment:
stupid people are fascinated with stupid words.
Post a Comment