Thursday, May 1, 2008

Hand Model, Huh?

Sunday mornings are really laid back for us. We like to sleep for as long as we possibly can before getting ready for church. We also like to turn on the tv and watch CBS Sunday Morning while we're lounging around and then getting dressed. It's just about the only program on at that time without any fighting politicians and has a lot of human features stores, which we really enjoy.

My favorite story this past week was about hand models. The funniest (weirdest) hand model that they featured was Ellen Sirot. This lady is a nut! She's so obsessive about her hands that she never goes out without gloves, makes her husband do all of the chores (her young daughter even buckles her shoes for her), and walks around with her hands up all the time. She never touches anything, opening the elevator with her elbow or taking someone with her to touch things for her at all times. (Her husband wasn't allowed to hold her hand until their wedding night... sheesh!) She even said she has over 500 pairs of gloves. But, I guess it works for her... she makes anywhere from $100 to thousands of dollars an hour!!

I couldn't find the video for the story we watched, but here is Ellen Sirot (aka the crazy hand lady) on The Big Idea. If you skip ahead to around 4:45, you can hear her talk about how obsessive she is about her hands. I don't think she and I could ever be friends!

2 comments:

Mrs. Pie said...

I have never seen someone so cocky. Wow. And I think she built her hands up so much that the actual gloves-off reveal was a bit of a letdown.

And her toes are funny looking.

Jenny Fleming said...

That woman is SO CREEPY!