El Cap is on the front left (of the background).
This year marks the 50th anniversary of the first (documented) person to climb El Capitan ("The Captain") in Yosemite Valley, CA.
Matt and I went to Yosemite National Park just this past fall. We had a great time and spent some time driving through the valley and walking around various parts of the park. It is a gorgeous place.
El Capitan is the largest rock face in North America, and is made up of about 3,000 vertical feet of granite. It has been free climbed (with no ropes) several times in less than a day, but most people take more than one day to make the ascent, camping overnight on the rock face.
Here is a short clip of what you might see and experience part of the way up the climb:
Matt and his friends were really into rock climbing growing up. They spent a lot of time at the local rock gym and made several trips to various Southeast climbing attractions. In college, we camped at Sand Rock one weekend with his brother and another friend.
I am not a rock climber.
I watched for most of the morning as they did some bouldering (free climbing on smaller rocks) and high climbs (30 - 50', with ropes). Then Matt set up a small course for me. I got to about six feet up (less than the height I would be standing on if I were on top of a door frame), and I froze. My hands are sweating right now just thinking about it. Matt had to be very patient and coax me into even attempting to move and get down.
When I reached the ground and saw how high I had made it, I was embarrassed. It sure felt a lot higher when I was up there! I could have just stood on Matt's shoulders instead. I'm afraid of heights and did not like the experience as much as I thought I might. I haven't attempted it since, and am perfectly fine with that.
My hat goes off to anyone who has even attempted to climb El Capitan. I will never consider joining you on such a feat, but admire your courage. I'll stick to the ground where my sweaty, nervous palms can rest in my pockets.
No comments:
Post a Comment