When I was in the youth group, it was the complete opposite. We got together every Wednesday and Sunday night, without fail. Even when we didn't have an event scheduled, we'd often find some place to hang out together. There was a wide range of ages too, and even a few of us were the only ones in our grade.
Here is a shot of the group (minus a few), the summer before I started college:
I think the biggest difference between what we had and what I see now was that we were all friends - good friends. We felt like a family. We bickered with, teased, and picked on each other. But we still loved each other, and when it mattered, we stepped up and really supported one another.
When I was just 17, one of our youth group members died in a car wreck. It was an absolutely horrible and excruciating time for not just his family, but the entire church family. I think that period was probably the clearest example, that I can personally recall, of what a Christian support system is supposed to be like. We all went over to the family's house and cried, prayed, and even tried to laugh together. There was no hesitation about it. We were so close, it was almost like losing one of my own siblings.
Most of the group has since moved away, and although we still keep in touch, we're not quite as close anymore. But even without my old youth group, I think Matt and I still have a good Christian support system. It's a lot more cross-generational than back then (and a LOT more tame), but still full of love, learning, and laughter.
3 comments:
This photo makes me so nostalgic. And hungry for some C.C.'s.
WOW!!!! I miss that group! I second everything you just said. I was wondering about the youth at the church too. I really dont know what it was that made us so close, but wow, we were just like family!
I have the same kind of relationship with about 50 people from my youth group. No matter what, we can pick up conversations and life updates at any time, even if we haven't seen each other for a few years.
Post a Comment