Thursday, May 22, 2008

Return of the 80's Saturday Mornings

If you were a child of the 80's like I was (or a parent of a child of the 80's), you probably watched your fair share of 80's-style Saturday morning cartoons. My favorites included He-Man, The Smurfs, Inspector Gadget, Care Bears, My Little Pony, and Strawberry Shortcake.

My baby blanket, which I still have (and, no, I don't actually sleep with it anymore; I gave that up at least a year ago), is of Strawberry Shortcake. In fact, my mother bought me a Strawberry Shortcake T-shirt a couple of years ago because she said she instantly thought of me when she saw it.

We also had a VHS recording of a Care Bears movie that we watched so much, it mysteriously "erased itself". My parents claimed that it was because we watched it so often that it just deteriorated over time. I don't buy it. However, I must admit that if I were forced to watch the same cartoon movie multiple times a week, I'd find a clever way to make it disappear too. (So, no hard feelings, Mom and Dad) .

Well, lucky for us (or not), now we can watch the Care Bears and other 80's-era cartoons every Saturday morning. I was flipping through my 10 channels last weekend when I saw Strawberry Shortcake and Care Bears in all new episodes.

Now that the people who loved those cartoons growing up are old enough to make some of the decisions about Saturday morning programming, it makes sense that we're seeing a return to some of the forgotten cartoons. The classics like Roadrunner and Tom & Jerry will always be around (I hope), but it is kind of nice to see the nostalgic return of a few of my childhood favorites.

3 comments:

Lynne said...

Ah, a walk down memory lane. My house looked like a Masters of the Universe crack den until 1996. I think the boys wish they had hung on to their He-Man lunchboxes.

I still hum the Smurfs theme when I'm trying to be really annoying - but my mom was always suspicious of them because there was only one girl. And why was Grandpa Smurf red?

Mrs. Pie said...

I thought we weren't allowed to watch the smurfs because of the evil wizard. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. I don't remember this Care Bears tape you speak of. I do remember watching "The Chronicles of Narnia" and "Hook," as well as all things Disney. And as for shows, "Duck Tales," "Rescue Rangers" and "Charles in Charge." Scott Baio was hot HOTT! Haha

RBecks said...

Lynne - I bet your house was the complete opposite of ours since you had all boys vs. girls, although I really did love He-Man too. I think you missed out not having any My Little Ponies for your kids. :) Some of that 80's memorabilia is probably pretty valuable now.

Manda - the Care Bears video was while we were still at the old house (you were < 4). All of those shows you named were from the 90's. I don't remember Rescue Rangers though... I'll have to google it. :)