This morning, I had the tv on while I was getting ready for work when they started talking about a young girl who text messaged her mother while her home was being robbed. (Here's the full story).
This 13-year-old girl was home sick from school when a car pulled into the driveway and a male and female proceeded to ransack the house. She told her mother that she was afraid and hiding. The mom called police and raced back home. The girl said that she hid under the covers of her bed instead of in a closet because she knew that robbers would be looking for valuables, and less likely to check under her sheets. At one point, the robbers even sat on the bed she was hiding in, only inches away from her, while discussing what to take!
This girl was so smart and level headed. She would call her mom when the thieves were in the other room to let her know that she was okay and then hang up when they came nearby so that they couldn't hear her talking.
When her mom pulled up to the house, she rammed the burglars' car that was parked in the driveway and wrestled with the female robber until the police arrived. Go mom!
As a kid, I often imagined what I would do if someone broke into our house. I had all kinds of safety plans for the various scenarios created by my overactive imagination. I thought my best hiding spot would've been on the highest shelf of the linen closet, using the comforters as my camouflage. Of course, this plan didn't take into account the fact that those old wooden shelves probably wouldn't have supported my weight, and I most likely would have come crashing down just as any would-be robbers walked by (assuming I had enough time to get up there unnoticed in the first place). So much for my imagination!
Now when Matt goes out of town for his car weekends, I can just arm myself with that over-powered BB gun of his and scare them off before they get to my end of the house without putting too big of a hole through my walls. Heh Heh. (You know my dogs won't be any help... they'll be the ones hiding under the covers).
No comments:
Post a Comment