.jpg)
Last week was quite a week! We had a lot of wedding stuff to get done at the last minute, moved in the engaged couple (who couldn't get into their new apartment until two days before the wedding), and managed to make it to a lot of wedding events, all within a few days. Amid a little screaming and tears, it all came together and we had a beautiful ceremony and a really fun party.
I've thought all week about what I should write about Amy's wedding. It was an emotional week for me (and I wasn't even one of the ones having to say "I do!")! I guess that it all boils down to one thing.
I'm a worrier.
I'm not an obsessive, can't-think-about-anything-else type of worrier. I'm a constant-nagging-in-the-back-of-my-mind type of worrier. During my first two years of marriage, I was tormented by a lingering fear that things were just too good to be true, and that I was just waiting for things to all fall apart. It's something I've really struggled with. One of the most helpful verses I know reads, "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself." (Matthew 6:34) I have to remind myself of this constantly, checking my fears and turning them over to God before they consume me.
I worried that Amy and Ryan hadn't dated long enough, that they might be too young and not be ready, that something with the wedding might go wrong. I don't particularly remember being so anxious before Amanda's wedding. Maybe it's because they dated for so long - or maybe it's because there were so many times that we thought Amanda might get rid of Wade that we were just excited that he would finally be legally bound to her for eternity! ;)
Of course all of this was silly. Amy is almost a year older than I was when I got married (two months before my 22nd birthday), and Ryan is a loyal, patient, and loving guy. She and Ryan dated for over a year before they got engaged and have definitely proven their commitments to each other and to marriage.
I think the big thing for me was that Amy is my baby sister and it's hard to not see her as the kid sister anymore. I don't need to worry so much about her. She's an full-fledged adult now, and a pretty responsible one too.
After I finally stopped wrestling with my anxieties, I could actually enjoy all of the events of the wedding week. I've also started praying for them regularly instead of pondering my fears. There's something about asking the Lord to strengthen their relationship with Him and each other that really makes you realize that worrying is fruitless. After all, I have no say in the matter. It's all up to Him and them!
Congratulations, you two!! We love you both so very much and couldn't be happier! (Plus, I finally have a baby brother to go with my "baby" sister.)
No comments:
Post a Comment