Sunday, August 17, 2008

Holy Cow


I saw this on CBS Sunday Morning. (They didn't post the story or video, so this is going to be less detailed than I'd prefer.)

Did you know that there is a "Cow Chip Throwing Capital of the World"? Beaver County, Oklahoma proudly touts this honor.

A few years ago, CBS reporter Bill Geist covered the Iowa State Fair. He noticed that their cow chip throwing contests used imported cow chips. Why would a farm state like Iowa import their cow chips? Shouldn't they have enough of their own; besides, cow poop is pretty widely available, and I'm sure lots of farmers would pay you to take it away instead of the other way around!

Apparently this is not the case for the Beaver County Cow Chips. They say that their cow chips are bar none. They claim that the grass that their cows eat, the water they drink, and the wind that blows over their hills helps to create the perfect cow patty.

Yum!

1 comment:

Mrs. Pie said...

Happy Birthday, nosehead. I wish I had a nice, crisp cow patty to throw in your honor.