
Charlie sent me this really interesting article. It's about the statistical results of standardized mathematical tests and how they relate to the performance of both genders.
While boys' and girls' average scores are about equal, boys account for more of both the highest and lowest scores. (i.e., girls' scores are mediocre - not the highest or lowest, on average).
Do you remember when the former Harvard president, Lawrence Summers, brought up the fact that women are underrepresented on math and science faculties, and then posed the hypothesis that it might be due to more boys reaching the highest ranges in those skills? (He was subsequently unceremoniously dumped by the university amid screams from feminists all over the world).
I remember that speech he gave and the outcry that came as a result, and I remember thinking it was weird, but not necessarily being offended by it. But as I began reading the actual statistics about girls' math scores versus boys, I kind of felt perturbed. What? I'm statistically more probable to not excel at math because I'm a girl? How could someone suggest such a thing?!
But you know what? That's okay. I'm okay with that. Matt may have a higher probability of excelling in mathematics, but I can bet any day that I'll do better at making an artistic creation of some sort (and I'm not even that artistic!).
I really do believe that we have different gifts - not just as individuals, but as sexes too. Tonight, Mrs. A talked about how we were created to be compliments and helpers to our husbands. It would be hard to compliment and help our spouses if we were made exactly the same. I like that my Creator designed me so that I'm wired differently than my husband; it really is a good thing.
2 comments:
Right on, Rebecca! Savor the differences. Ellise's talk was an encouragement to me, too...even if math is NOT my favorite thing. :)
Yes, I am particularly good at holding the nails as Wade redoes our bathroom....
It hasn't happened yet, but I've got a handful of nails waiting in case it does.
Post a Comment