Ever wondered if your waiter has just done something to your food? It's generally a good idea to not tick off the person in charge of feeding you. Steve Dublanica is a waiter who admits to getting back at rude customers in his book Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip--Confessions of a Cynical Waiter.
His top suggestion for staying saliva-free: stay off of the cell phone (this irks me too, it's extremely rude to have a full conversation in the middle of dinner; my parents always told us we weren't even allowed to answer the home phone during dinner. Ever.)
Obviously you don't want to be rude to a waiter, but I've had my fair share of worthless servers. I've gotten up and refilled my own drink before, and Matt regularly goes to get extra silverware whenever we need it. One waiter at a restaurant in Auburn that I went to fairly regularly with my girlfriends was especially awful. The bus boy spent more time helping us on one occasion than the waiter did, so we asked management if we could leave the bus boy part of the tip.
Even when we're ignored or treated badly, we try to make a point not to be rude back, especially after hearing some of the horror stores about Amanda's experiences waiting tables. I understand it's a tough job, so I try to cut them some slack. However, repeat offenders will be taken note of. Instead of refusing to leave a tip at all (I try to always at least leave 15%), we just don't come back again.
2 comments:
I think there's a reason that I have so many stories about rude guests from my waitressing day. OK, two reasons:
1) I worked at the Cracker Barrel. It magically draws unruly patrons.
2) I might have been a really bad waitress. Ok, I admit it, I was a terrible waitress.
Didn't you spill a whole pitcher of sweet tea on someone (or was that someone else? I can't remember).
Post a Comment