Thursday, July 24, 2008

Dear Mr. Buckley, Part I

A great friend lent me this book, Cancel Your Own (Expletive) Subscription. It's a compilation of some of the more unique letters that the late Bill Buckley received while editor of the National Review. Some of the letters are rather amusing.

August 26, 1969
Dear Mr. Buckley:

In this writing -- that I bring to your attention -- I introduce myself to my readers saying: I am the Second Coming of Jesus of Nazareth. When I addressed a group at Times Square on August 6, proposing a new way to end war, I introduced myself to them also in the same way.

Now a person of your intelligence, your erudition, and refusal to accept surface appearance -- your refusal to be mentally flim-flammed or deceived -- your desire to search for the truth -- should obtain great satisfaction in proving that an individual making such a claim is in fact an impostor -- if that be the case.

Or -- if despite the odds against it of billions to one -- if I am, in truth, who I say I am -- and I repeat again: I am the second coming of Jesus of Nazareth -- what more fantastic guest could you have on your program?

You stand to win - either way.

Norman Bloom
New York, N.Y.

Dear Mr. Bloom: Beware. I am the second coming of Pontius Pilate. -WFB



September 23, 1969
Dear Mr. Buckley:

Your syntax is horrible.

Ron Kelly
Mattoon, Ill.

Dear Mr. Kelly: If you had my syntax, you'd be rich. Cordially, WFB

No comments: