100 years ago, during Theodore Roosevelt's presidency, the Federal Bureau of Investigation started as a small investigative unit of the justice department. It took off in 1924 when J. Edgar Hoover took over as the first formal director.In the early days, the FBI focused a lot on the capture of gangsters and members of organized crime. That evolved towards pursuing communists, and the primary focus today is preventing acts of terrorism. It's kind of neat how the Bureau has evolved from capturing criminals who have already committed crimes to concentrating on finding out about and preventing acts before they happen.
The FBI pioneered fingerprinting and forensic evidence technology, but it has lagged behind with its computer systems. Right now, it's spending a lot of money on updating the computer systems and working to share information with the CIA and other justice departments.
Like any part of our government, it's not perfect, but it sure does have a neat history.
2 comments:
Cool video. I like how the reporter asked him about "rounding up" people and he objected. That they included that is impressive, I think.
I still like this video.
Post a Comment