Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Microchipped

Amy with Maddie; Tanna with three of her dogs: Mimi, Ellie, and Renae; and me with "the boys."

Hooray! Amy and I took our puppies to the Dog Fair this past weekend and met up with a former co-worker of mine. The local obedience and training club offered microchipping for only $25 (it's about $50 at the vet), had vendor booths, and lots of fun demonstrations. I enjoyed watching some of the agility and flyball demos.

There were so many dogs there! I loved seeing all of the different breeds and colors. I saw two other black & tan/gray dappled dachshunds (like Tyson) and we even saw another red dapple (like Maddie) - both colors are pretty rare. There were lots of dogs that needed homes too. It's probably a good thing that Matt has told me "no more dogs"; I don't think I could pick just one!


Tanna's newest addition (and only non-rescue) is this gorgeous blue merle sheltie, Mimi.

We took our dogs to get microchipped. After reading this story, I decided to go ahead and have the boys microchipped. They have collars with their names and our phone # embroidered on them, but I don't always make them wear them. With these chips, they can be returned home safely. The chip (about the size of a grain of rice) is inserted between the shoulder blades with a nasty-looking needle. A scanner can pick up the microchip ID, which is used to locate all of our contact information. Hooray for technology!

Ace cried and squealed like a stuck pig for a solid 30 seconds, making the other pet owners rethink having their dogs chipped. I was embarrassed, laughing, and feeling really bad for him all at the same time. Poor Acie! Tyson took it like a champ and didn't make a peep.


The boys didn't hold the microchipping against me... they got treats later.


"Cousins"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures of the dogs. SO Cute.

Ps- i agree with the Red Robin, but the 10.49 burgers REALLY hurt...

Amy

Mrs. Pie said...

Hahaha Tyson looks like he's getting choked by that collar in the last one. They're definitely good-looking dogs. I tried to get Wade to take Roo to get microchipped but he shafted the idea.