I know of several self-admitted train jumpers. Because the reformed "hobos" that I am familiar with have given up the train-jumping lifestyle (at least for now), I didn't realize just how popular it is. Hobos live all over the country, come up with their own hobo names, and some take train-jumping very seriously - traveling year round via the tracks. (Of course, I think that all of the former hobos that I know go by their real names and don't have hobo names like Tuck, Stray Cat, or Stretch.)
There is even an annual convention for hobos to congregate and share their hobo stories. The elect a hobo queen and king, and then they take the train out of town.
CBS says, "The name hobo derives from farm implement-carrying young men who caught trains to look for work after the Civil War.
"So, what's the difference between a hobo, a tramp and a bum?
"'The hobo works and wanders; the tramp dreams and wanders - he's the intellectual; the bum, he just drinks and wanders,' explains one convention attendee."
If I were a hobo, I think my hobo name would be Flower. What about you?

2 comments:
Wait — are you a hobo or a hippie?
My hobo name would be Soggy Bottom. But seriously, the names you mentioned all sound like Sarah Palin's kids' names.
Yeah, I guess it does sound like a hippie name. Oh well - it's all I could think of in a pinch. I like Soggy Bottom better. ;)
Post a Comment