I gave in to the urge to watch Sarah Palin's first speech as McCain's VP pick. I must say that I was impressed. This woman has risen from the PTA to City Councilwoman, Mayor, Governor, and is now the Republican Vice Presidential candidate.
I feel a little weird saying this because I do NOT consider myself a Republican (I'm also not a Democrat; I prefer "Conservative Independent"), but from what I've learned about Palin, there is a lot to admire and I'm enthused about her being on the ticket. Of course, she's so new to the national scene that I don't know a whole lot about her, but I do like most of what I've heard/read so far. She is a believer who defends life at all stages, wants to protect all of our constitutional rights (even the 2nd Amendment), plus she's worked to lower government spending (and taxes) and fought corruption on both sides of the aisle. Pretty admirable!
Another thing that struck me: Palin didn't come across as just another politician. She really did seem more like an ordinary American hockey mom (who also has guts, intelligence, and is well informed on the issues).
One of my favorite parts of her speech, though, had to be when her youngest daughter, Piper, licked her hand to smooth out her baby brother's hair. Very cute!
No comments:
Post a Comment