Friday, April 10, 2009

Tea Parties


I was talking about the upcoming Tea Parties several days ago with Charlie when he asked me what they are.

The TEA Party (Taxed Enough Already) is a grassroots movement by ordinary, fiscally responsible Americans who want to send a message to Congress. Thousands of events are planned for April 15th, tax day, when people will gather to show their frustration with our government's tax, spend, and bailout agenda.

Tax Day Tea Party lists all of the confirmed events around the country. There will be one in our town from 12-1 pm on Clinton Ave. across from the Post Office. I'm not sure if I'm going or not, but I have talked to several people who are.

This isn't just about the Democrats or Republicans, the president, or any single member of our government. Michelle Malkin puts it succinctly: "This is about you, your families, and your voices being heard in opposition to confiscatory policies and reckless bailouts supported by too many public servants in both parties."

What's interesting/strange/exciting to me is the fact that all of the people that I know who plan to attend are not very politically outspoken and have never protested anything before in their lives. They're just everyday hardworking people who don't feel like they should have to give up even more of their income to the government's bottomless bailouts, "stimulus", spending, and "wealth distribution" programs.

3 comments:

tea said...

I thought it was all a celebration of me!!!

-tea

RBecks said...

You know, now that I think about it, it must be named for you. ;)

Mrs. Pie said...

i thought we'd be dumping something into the tennessee river. what a letdown.