Tuesday, April 14, 2009

He Ate the Easter Bunny!

So much for happy seedlings...

I think I've learned my lesson about what I can blog about.

Only a few days ago, I posted a photo of a healthy, happy zucchini seedling. Well, this weekend, the very same plant shriveled up and DIED. Boo!

Another thing I wrote about last week was that my sister's doxie could teach my wimpy Tyson a thing or two. Well, Saturday was a bloodbath for all small furry creatures near our yard. (disclosure: the following is not for the faint of heart).

Matt and I were enjoying a rare Saturday morning where we were in town with nothing that we had to do when little Tyson came to the back door with a happy face and early Easter gift. (This is our almost 5-year-old dog who has a definite reputation for his non-hunter and wimpified status).

Ma, look what I got!

I know he's a dog, but I must've forgotten that dogs kill things. We've had Tyson for so long and neither he nor Ace have ever killed anything (that we know of). Tyson has never shown even the tiniest bit of interest in chasing small furry or flying creatures - he's usually content to either sit in my lap or chase his b-a-l-l. I guess I've gotten used to this and that's why I was so shocked to see him strut around with this thing.

...and the Rats of Nimh plot their revenge...

It was the fatest little mouse I've ever seen! It looked like a bloated hamster (poor Tidbit) with a tail. Tyson was so proud. He showed off his find and refused to drop it so Matt could bury the rodent until I bribed him with chicken jerky treats.

About two hours later, my friend Jenny came to get some perennials and we decided to walk over to the neighborhood pond. No sooner had we let the boys out the back gate when Ace grabbed a passing bunny. Tyson wanted a piece of the action and started chasing Ace, trying to get the prize away.

Horrified, Jenny and I were trying to get the two dogs to let go and drop the poor rabbit. I grabbed a hold of Ace's tail, eventually lifting him off of the ground by it, but unable to save their poor victim. To save you all of the details, they both got a taste before Jenny and I dragged them back into the yard. Gross!

Jenny yelled, "He ate the Easter Bunny!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How gross!!!

Bobo and Bella kill everything (chipmunks, moles, lizards, birds, a den of bunnies...). We cal it backyard carnage.

While preggo with JN, I once chased Bo all over the yard with a shovel trying to get him to drop a chipmunk that he caught and killed. Yuck!! hc

Mrs. Pie said...

When rusty catches things — two birds and a mouse! — we fire up the grill. I don't know what y'all mean with all this "gross" talk.