A few days ago, I think I shocked a few people when I smacked my dog's face after he returned to get a second drink from my punch glass. I'd had to clean out and refill my cup after he snuck a taste, and had just given him a good warning before he came back for seconds. Without really thinking, I popped him.
At our small group, I'm constantly trying to control my spaz-tastic dog, Ace. He loves to greet people (and babies) with drive-by lickings and uninvited jumps into your lap. Leaving him locked in the back yard isn't much of an option with a book study group meeting in our den - Ace cries (loudly) while doing his best Jack Russell jump on the door, and he can go for hours without taking a break.
He is a trash hound, bee-biting, prized-plant-destroying, neighbor-obsessed, ball-stealing bully, and can be a real pain in the... But, even with all of that, I still love the little guy, and have tried to somewhat control his behavior; which means that he often gets spankings on his "spank spot" (seriously, God made him with a built-in bullseye), wears a "stubborn dog" shock collar, and receives quite a bit of yelling and "Get in your bed!" commands.
I know some people think that dogs are just dogs: they should stay in the yard, and only be treated as outside-only animals, not family members. Other people hand-make their pets' meals and would never dream of using a shock collar - let alone spanking their dog when he's got his head in the trash can. (I guess the same can be said for child-rearing... some people are adamantly opposed to disciplining their unruly children, others might take it too far).
I probably treat my dogs as more than just pets, but do I expect too much out of them? I want a well-behaved dog, but what's the best way to achieve that when you have what my vet likes to refer to as an "intense" dog?
(Vote ---->)
5 comments:
Haha. He looks like he just did something spank-spot-worthy in that photo.
I still love Tyson the most!
I love Ace and do not mind the lap jumps and drive-bys. He has come a LONG way, Becca.
A - I think he was hoping for a t-r-e-a-t.
J - Tyson's definitely easier to love at times.
L - Thanks. I have to hear that from other people. Especially when the very same night this post went up, Ace snuck into the trash in the middle of the night, eating leftovers from our grill out - including a whole pint of coleslaw, making the laundry room look like the photo below of the toddlers wreaking havoc!
HAHA, I couldn't help laughing out loud on this post. Ace's "spaz" ways make him even more endearing, and life would be boring if it wasn't shaken up a bit. He's good practice for those "shipman" babies down the road... ;)
-amy-
Post a Comment