Sunday, July 19, 2009

Ups and Downs


This past week was a doozie, we stayed busy with school and work. I got my midterm back and made a 100! I can't remember the last time I've been halfway through a course with a perfect average. Losing my 4th of July weekend to one monster of a take home test paid off.

Thursday was busy, running around checking on granite prices (again) and then grabbing the boys to go to Matt's ultimate game. He played Ryan, Amy, and Kary's team. It was fun to see them play one another and Wade and Amanda were on the field right next to them.

I made the mistake of bringing both of the dogs instead of my usual maximum of one. Ace couldn't sit still and so I decided to put him in the car, moving to the front of the lot so that I could see him from the sidelines. Backing up in the dark, I couldn't see the posts around a fire hydrant and did this:



My poor car! There's nothing like backing over a pole and having 13 ultimate frisbee players have to help jack up your car so that you can get it off of the post. Thankfully, it's only cosmetic and there's no real structural damage. However, my pride was hurt and I was too depressed to drive my car to work on Friday. I actually woke up depressed about my no-longer-perfect car and driving record.

I had to pull it together and put things into perspective. What a stupid thing to be sad over - a material possession! Of all of the things to be upset about... this is a no-brainer. I have so much to be thankful for - a loving husband, great job, incredible family, good health, the list just goes on. Poor Wade broke his wrist that night and can't paddle when we go on our upcoming kayak trip, but here I was pouting about my car's back bumper.

Later in the day, I was able to suck it up and make the best of it. I'm still sad for my car - but mostly for our bank account which will be absorbing the repair costs. The rest of the weekend went well and we got to enjoy the gorgeous weather and hang out with my long lost cousin and later some friends from work. It was a much needed respite before the next two weeks of school.

If I can just make it through my final at the end of the month, I'll be good to go!

1 comment:

Diane Harness said...

When I talked to Matthew last night after being out of town for 2 weeks, I asked, "Anything new?" His reply was "Nothing." I need to read your blog more often to hear all the news! We'll try for dinner next week. Sorry to hear about your car and Wade's wrist! Love, Diane