Wednesday, July 22, 2009

July Blooms

July brought more hot weather flowers. It also brought the realization that >1050 square feet of flower beds is a LOT to keep up with.

I'm working on getting all of the beds that need occasional watering rigged up on a drip irrigation system with a timer, including the patio pots, so that I don't have to beg my sisters to come water my plants whenever we go out of town.

I'm also realizing that I can't really just go buy enough mulch from Lowe's to keep everything topped off sufficiently and am saving up for a big truck load of mulch to be dumped off in the back yard. But, other than that, I've only killed a couple of plants in the past few months and the beds are all looking great.

I love the bright blue flowers on plumbago, a low-growing perennial.

Asters are so much fun and these purple ones were among my first plants.

The dahlias I got from Brent and Becky's bulbs look great. This picture doesn't do them justice.


Gladiolus! They've been cheering up my desk at work.

Shasta daisies and pink coneflowers go great together.
They're right next to the black eyed susans that are just about in full bloom now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They look great! What plans do you have for the late summer/fall? I have black eyed susan's that have gone crazy, they're going to need to be cut back drastically!

RBecks said...

Thanks!

I have had to divide them every year or two - I also use those plant hoops to help hold the big ones up (the shorter varieties don't need them though).

Divide and share with a friend this fall - that's my favorite method for controlling them and making sure I still have room for other new plants. :)