Monday, July 27, 2009

Maters


Matt and I left camp Sunday morning so that I could get a head start on my take-home final. Mom caught a ride back with us since she wasn't going to paddle that day.

When we got to her house, we decided to make ourselves some lunch with our leftover sandwich fixin's. I went to check out her tomato plants and had a sudden craving for some fried green tomatoes.

I haven't had good ones since eating at Veggies to Go back in Auburn (yum), and grabbed two big green tomatoes from the bushes.

Fried green tomatoes are stupid simple and super yummy; everyone should make them.

- slice a green tomato, about 1/4 in. thick slices
- salt and pepper each slice
- dip in cornmeal
- place in a hot frying pan with oil or shortening.
- fry on medium/medium-high until golden brown, flipping once.

They're so good, they made me re-evaluate trying to grow a vegetable garden (again) next year...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tend to have a "no fry" policy in our house, but those look so good! I think I know what we're having with dinner tonight!

RBecks said...

We don't fry much either, but I definitely think these are worth it!