I've been trying to talk my sweet honey into installing a tile backsplash in our kitchen for me for a while now. Last week, we went over to Lowe's to check out some of their tile to get some ideas about what we want to do.
As we're walking over to the tile aisle, we pass through the kitchen display. Big mistake! Matt found this textured granite countertop and it was love at first sight. So, we start looking at all of the rock samples and the extremely helpful countertop guy came over and gave us a great run-down of all of the different types of countertops and their basic pros/cons.
The obsession begins.
We go home and think about it, coming back the next day to grab a sample to take home. We finally decide on the color/finish ("brushed" granite instead of the more common polished finish). I swear that I've been to Lowe's more in the last week than the last several months! They find a supplier with the counterop that we like but can't do anything else until we pick out a sink (they have to have a template to cut the sink hole out from).
We went back last night and tried to pick out a faucet from their 200 options (and that didn't include the 100,000 special order options in their giant books) and figure out filtered water spout/built-in soap pump stuff. Have I mentioned that the people at Lowe's are really helpful?! Wow, and they really know their stuff! I find a faucet I like, but Matt doesn't. Second choice: too many holes. Okay, back up. Drop the separate filtered water spout and make the main faucet filtered. Bingo - fixtures we both agree on. My feet hurt.
We pick out a sink - a white ceramic/cast-iron one that says it comes in black. Punch in the code to the computer... the black costs twice as much! What a load of crap. I'm willing to pay for this sink since it's the one I like, but the fact that it's more than double the price of the white one ticks me off. It's the principle of the matter. I'm annoyed.
We decide to run next door to the other, orange, place just to see what they have. I'm instantly reminded why I don't shop at HD - the guy in the sinks area sees us standing there trying to figure out their unlabeled displays and doesn't bother offering to help. Leaving, now.
I try to look sinks up online. No luck. They're all the same price (or more) than the one I like at Lowe's. My head hurts. Time for bed.
Wouldn't you know it, I'm dreaming about the darned sink! What the he$$? I'm not this person - I am not into/good at decorating. I'm not a home-project type of girl. I don't care about this stuff. What's wrong with me?! I feel like a grown up - a responsible home-owning grown up who cares about color swatches and patterns and textures and all of that stuff I completely don't understand.
The thing is, I can't go back. I can't drop it all and live with what we've got. I've seen the other options. I've pictured them in my little kitchen. I'm obsessed. Got to change the countertops, sink, fixtures. I haven't even touched on the backsplash and re-doing the floor yet.
Is this normal?!
2 comments:
I, too, have desired that my husband put up a tile backsplash and install better countertops. But I have not yet taken the plunge by going to the store and really visualizing the options. there would be no going back at that point.
Are you going to get the black sink? I bet it would look nice!
We got the black sink last night... special order (ouch). I think you just have to get Wade in there looking at stuff. Matt was more excited about the granite than me once he saw it and touched it. :)
Post a Comment