Thursday, July 30, 2009

Sleep with a Stranger...

Sleep with a stranger... and win an iPod!

I was completely blown away by this article published in the U.K.'s Daily Mail. Due to the huge increase in the number of young people being infected with STDs, the government is giving out prizes for submitting to an STD screening. (Remember, the UK has national socialized health care, so the taxpayers are the ones actually footing the bill for this!)

"If nothing else, the chlamydia epidemic has given the NHS the opportunity to blow taxpayers' money in more imaginative ways than normal. In Northamptonshire, those tested for chlamydia have their names put into a monthly draw for one of a number of Nintendo Wii games consoles (at a cost of £160 [$264] each). In Camden, North London, there are iPods up for grabs; in Nottinghamshire, it's a £1,000 [$1648] Fujitsu laptop; while in Northumberland, it is a £2,000 [$3296] holiday. Fancy a night out at the flicks? In Colchester, self-testing kits are being sent to 26,000 youngsters. Everyone who sends back their results will receive a £10 Odeon cinema voucher."

Wow! I didn't know that you could get such cool free stuff just for sleeping around (and I'm not talking about the STDs). How this encourages "safe sex" practices, I'm not really sure, but it definitely gives reason for pause to anyone who thinks that giving the government more control of any industry is a good idea.

Also, why don't people start questioning what behavior that they're already doing (as opposed to not doing) that is the real root of the problem? The transmission of STDs aren't on the increase because people are becoming more respectful of their bodies and of sex in general.

I love how one commenter of the article puts it: "So.... I'm thinking that if people had any sense at all they'd wait to have sex until they're married. Just think of all of the social problems that would disappear forever if people enjoyed sex the way it was intended rather than treating it as cheap candy good for any occasion."

1 comment:

Mrs. Pie said...

haha... "cool free stuff."

Yes, I have to admit, I've always thought of STDs along the same lines as prizes in a cereal box.

The world has really just gone completely insane.