Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Rockets and Engines

This last Friday, on our day off, Matt and I made it up to the Space and Rocket Center with a friend to learn about a lot of the behind-the-scenes details and designs.

Craig, our retired NASA expert, gave us so much information about every engine, computer, o-ring, and vacuum tube in there that I thought my head would explode!

Craig has so much knowledge and knows so many details about the space program. As he was talking, visitors would stop and listen to him tell Matt different things, asking him questions along the way.

Did you know that that pointy thing on the end of the Saturn V is actually an escape rocket? If something went wrong during a launch, it would fire up and pull the capsule with the astronauts out of the trajectory of the rest of the rocket. It was never needed in a real launch though, and was only deployed during tests.

I hadn't been to the S&RC since I was a kid and was a little overwhelmed. There is a lot of stuff in there, and it had a lot more exhibits than I remember. We didn't stay for the movie (I remember being so impressed with the iMax as a kid), and didn't do any of the rides (vomit!). We basically stuck to all of the space-related exhibits (why stop at the defense/Army stuff? We work around that stuff every day!). I'd recommend going if you've never been, or even going back if it's been a while.

3 comments:

Charlie said...

Dear Rebecca,

I believe I visited the Space and Rocket the year it opened, or maybe a year later. I returned regularly as a teenager. I was very interested in the space program.

When I was a kid, they televised the Mercury and Gemini launches, and I tried never to miss any of them, and learned the names of all the missions and crews.

By far my most informative tour of the Space and Rocket Center was when Craig took Lynne and me on a tour in 2005. What a wealth of first-hand and interesting information! Later he took Thomas and John on tour. He's the best, a top-notch guide.


Blessings,

Charlie

Anonymous said...

Wow! I did not know this about Craig! Sam and I need to take a tour without kiddos, we've been many times with them and they just can't seem to hang out as long as we would like.

RBecks said...

Charlie - I didn't know you were so interested in the space program growing up!

Renee - Craig is a bundle of knowledge! Do you ever get his treatment updates? They're often filled with details of the space program. He's really quite funny too.

I swear that man is the best example of a true servant of the Lord that I've ever met!