"God doesn't fund the church through bingo nights, pancake suppers, and chicken dinners."
I found this video very interesting. It talks about a few of the reasons to tithe or not to tithe, how some religious organizations appear to be taking advantage of the Biblical principle of tithing (and a tax-free status), while others are more transparent in their spending and mission work/aide.
I agree with several of the points in the piece, especially the part about how wrong (immoral ?) it is that some churches guilt their members into tithing by saying that they'll be cursed if they don't commit 10% to the church. This flows from the whole works-based idea that we will be blessed, happy, healthy, and financially prosperous if we simply "follow these steps."
I think Howard Dayton of Crown Financial Ministries hit the nail on the head when he said, "It's not a '[I] have to pay a tithe', it's a privilege." It'd be very hard for me to be a cheerful giver if I didn't want to support my church and world missions and consider doing so a pleasure.
I also love how Charlie often says, "Let's give HIS tithes and our offerings". The Lord has already blessed us. In my opinion, the tithe is His to begin with. Anything beyond that is our own offering of thanksgiving and just icing on the cake.
Boy, I sure (don't) wish we had those "Giving Kiosks" (aka "God's ATMs") at my church! I could get 2% cash back on my tithes! ;)
2 comments:
It's a very delicate matter. I think that at our church it's always been handled well, and I've always felt glad to give. It would be sad if all Christians were giving begrudgingly... kind of defeats the whole purpose.
I am reading through 2 Chronicles about Solomon and the 22,000 oxen and 120,000 sheep he sacrificed in one day (at the temple dedication).
I was thinking to myself as I read, "Man, that is so wasteful." But that's a ridiculous notion because it's God who gave them the cattle, and God who would multiply their numbers. Especially since Solomon's was the most prosperous reign for the Israelites.
Anyway, I'm just talking to myself.
Very good point, Manda.
Post a Comment