Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Daytona
We had a great time on our trip to Daytona, Florida, last week. Matt's uncle, John, and his wife, Cathy, have retired to Daytona from Cincinnati and have a beautiful place right on the beach. It was nice to have no worries for a few days and to just be able to get to know his (our) family better.
This is the view of the river from the guest bedroom that we stayed in. The kitchen, den, and bar all face the beach with gorgeous views of the ocean.
Cathy is a professional hand engraver and engraves several of the Daytona NASCAR trophies. She scored us some free tickets to the museum, complete with a tour of the road track (which was really neat!). Here are Diane, Cathy, Matt, and Michael with one of the trophies that Cathy works on each year.
We're not big NASCAR fans, but I really enjoyed the museum and learning about the history of the sport. Matt was quite impressed with the old Beamers that used to race right on the beach before the super speedway was built.
Michael, Matt, Becca, Diane, John, and Cathy enjoying some fresh seafood. Yum!
John and Cathy have traveled more than anyone else I know. I'm jealous of the trips all over the world that they've been able to take. Here we are with the jade recreation of one of the famous terracotta soldiers that they purchased on their recent trip to China.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I don't know what's more ballin' — the statue or the jacket he's got on. Polka dots!
Sounds like a great trip. Wish my husband would take me to the beach...
Seriously, I want that jacket.
I think it's not quite polka dots... i think they're some special design if i remember correctly. It's still pretty cool though. :)
Post a Comment