Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Bus Driver Brakes for Bad Kids


I read this story and had to laugh. It's one of those stories that you want to laugh at, but you know it's probably not the PC thing to do.

This bus driver apparently slammed on the brakes to throw misbehaving kids from their seats. Now, I would probably be pretty ticked if that were one of my kids being thrown around the bus, especially if they got hurt. Really, this is a definite no-no, but I can sort of understand where she might have been coming from.

I rode the bus for about two years before my best friend was old enough to drive us to school. I loved it. We had a good group of kids on our bus and I also really loved the bus driver, Mrs. Hefner.

However, a few times I had to ride other buses - either because I was going home with a friend or because one of the buses broke down, and some of those routes were no peach. These were not the happy bus rout depicted in Napoleon Dynamite. Depending on who rode the bus, or how full it was, sometimes it was very rowdy. Besides monitoring the kids who liked to make-out in the back seat, the driver often had to break up fights, manage to concentrate on the road with 50 screaming kids behind her, keep kids from mooning the cars behind them, pull spit wads from her hair, and separate bullies from their helpless victims. I did not envy the kids (or drivers) on those routes. Some of those kids probably deserved to be thrown from their seats, or at least have their heads slammed into the seat back in front of them - not that I'm saying that the driver should of done it, of course.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this brake stomping thing wrong?

As an elementary and middle school student riding the "Big Cheese", the drivers stomped their brakes like that all the time. BTW, I attended Mobile County schools nearly 25-30 years ago...hc

RBecks said...

I guess it's only wrong if kids get hurt (or, if they tell their parents when they get hurt). ;)