Thursday, December 11, 2008

When Presidents Had REAL Pets

"Benjamin Harrison kept a goat named Old Whiskers, who once escaped the White House grounds with the children in tow, forcing the president to chase them down Pennsylvania Avenue. (National Archives)"

With president-elect Barack Obama mulling one of the most important decisions of his political career, what breed of dog to get his girls as their first pet (and as THE First Pet), many reporters are weighing in with their 2 cents on what he should pick.

Mo Rocca suggests that Obama skip the K9s and go for something more... interesting.

Did you know that Woodrow Wilson had a pet ram that died of a nicotene addiction? Teddy Roosevelt had 36 pets, including a one-legged rooster.

Rocca says, "Calvin Coolidge had a raccoon named Rebecca, and a wallaby. (I think it would be neat to have a pet with a pouch.)

"Look, I'm not saying that the Obamas should get a pet with a pouch. But another pooch? That's not change we can believe in … that's not change at all!"


2 comments:

Charlie said...

Dear Rebecca -

With pride I will note (if my memory serves me correctly) that Benjamin Harrison was both a member and officer of the Presbyterian Church. So, his was not any old pet; it was a covenant pet.

Cordially,

Charlie

RBecks said...

Charlie,

You're just full of information! I was hoping you'd know a little-known-fact that was on the topic. :)

Thanks,

Rebecca