Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Practice With Me

GRE

Since I have been out of school and "in industry" just 4 months short of 5 years, I'm required to take the GRE for grad school. Since my grades were high enough in my undergraduate work, I was provisionally admitted and can take the Graduate Record Exam anytime during the spring semester.

I'm taking it at the end of this week and completed a full timed practice test several days ago. As expected, I felt like the writing and quantitative (math) portions were pretty straightforward and didn't really give me any problems. The part I did the poorest on was the verbal reasoning section.

Now I have no illusions and I know that I don't have the same extensive vocabulary as my journalism-majored sister, but I tend to think that it's at least adequate. Apparently, knowing the meanings of such words as doppler coupling and radar range do you no good when taking the GRE.

I scored high enough above the minimum to get my "provisional admission" upgraded to full time student, but it's still annoying to know that I'm not as good in one section of the test as I thought I should be.

Take a practice set of questions here. Or, download the software for the full-length, timed practice tests here (it will give you an approximate score at the end of it).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck on the GRE! I know you'll do well on it.

Anonymous said...

You are not allowed to complain about your provisional GRE scores unless you have at least one stretch mark. Beauty and brains...they hurt sometimes...HC

Anonymous said...

you kept me up too late a couple of nights ago- I had to try all the sample questions. Glad it is you and not me!