Thursday, October 30, 2008

Time to Get a Real Job


I saw this story about a bank robber who has hit the same bank three years in a row. He always does it this time of year and only takes a relatively small amount of money - not enough to live off of. Police are speculating that he's robbing the bank in order to "pay for Christmas."

Ha! If this is seriously this guy's motivation for robbing a bank, I think it's a sad one. Besides finding a new profession, he should also consider getting one of those Christmas bank accounts. (You know, the ones where you can put money into it all year and then it dumps the money into your checking in time for you to buy presents). I love gift-giving (almost as much as I love gift-receiving!), and we have to budget well in advance if we want to keep supplying Wade's home-improvement book collection, mom's knitting magazines, and Amanda's board game supply.

It's funny how I can categorize most of my family by the types of gifts that they like. Matt loves finding car parts and guns under the Christmas tree. My dad wants history or political books or man-toys (camera-related, music-related, or farm-related). Amy likes clothes/shoes and Ryan likes kitchen stuff or outdoor gear. Diane likes jewelry and for Matt to change her oil. Isaac just likes money - mostly so that he can count it in front of Seth every time he comes home from college. Me - I like purses and plants.

I like buying gifts for people. It's fun to get stuff I know (or at least hope) that they'll be able to enjoy. But, I think that if I ever run out of present-giving funds, I'm definitely not going to rob a bank for it!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

hahaha i laughed during the part about isaac counting his money. hahahaha.
speaking of board games, I've got about a dozen on my amazon wish list that no one put a dent into last year (though amy and ryan did get us cranium, which we played and all got into a fight about.)