Monday, June 8, 2009

Fiberglass Class

So, we've both been major slackers on posting lately. Between work, class, the gym, and church, I've basically spent every other waking moment helping Matt getting the boat back into shape.

One of the major projects we worked on was replacing a small section of flooring and the base of the driver's seat that had succumbed to rot. Matt is basically my mechanic and handy man, and let me just tell you that he knows a lot! I would have never guessed that one of his hidden talents included experience with fiberglass work.

I thought it was pretty interesting, so I decided to document the process. (click on thumbnails for higher res. photos)

Supplies: Lacquer, Epoxy: hardener and resin, paint brushes, and fiberglass cloth. (Not pictured: wood filler putty. Also not pictured: Matt's helpful assistant, Becca).

Here's the area that needs to be replaced, we've already pulled back the carpet, pulled out the rotten wood, and cut out new pieces of wood to fit right in.

The wood is cut out and must be fully lacquered before installation. We applied about four coats of lacquer, letting the wood dry for several hours between each coat. This protects the wood from moisture and is essential to keep/delay it from rotting.

Cut the fiberglass into small strips; you'll layer them as you go to make certain areas stronger.

Now, mix the resin with the hardener, 2:1, and stir for about two minutes to make the epoxy. Do this is small batches, because (as I learned the hard way), it heats as it hardens, and the larger the batch, the faster it hardens. (Anyone ever made a paddle or study desk in college? This is the same stuff, but in larger volumes.)

Coat the top of the wood surface with a good layer of the epoxy. Then, lay down a strip of fiberglass and paint on another coat of epoxy on top of the fiberglass, soaking the fiber through. Make sure there are no bubbles between the fiber and the floor surface.

Repeat all the way around the floor surface, and add second and third layers to the areas that need more support. Allow to dry thoroughly.

Once the floor part is done, bolt the base for the driver's seat onto the floor with long screws and start the process all over again, layering the fiberglass over the seat base corners and soaking with a coat of epoxy.

Now, mix the wood filler putty with the accompanying hardener, in small batches (you only have a couple of minutes before it sets).

Fill in the low spots with the wood filler, allow to dry for 24 hours, and then sand smooth.

Vacuum well and then spray the underside of the carpet and top of the floor with glue - 3M Industrial Grade Adhesive (thanks, mom). Put the carpet back in place - but be sure to smooth out the wrinkles as you lay it back down.

The seat is now solid and mounted on new flooring.
Good as new (maybe better).

Finally done. This is my second favorite view from the boat (my favorite being of Matt wake boarding or slalom skiing - he's really good)!

Time to work on those farmer's tans!

4 comments:

Jenny Fleming said...

I forgot y'all had a boat! Let us know if you ever need company :)

Diane said...

I love that boat! Many years of great memories!

RBecks said...

J - hopefully we can get y'all out there some time soon!

D - I agree, I LOVE this boat too. I do have to agree with Matt now though... it's a LOT of work. (I can now sympathize with all of his complaining). It's running and put back together, but still needs a little more work. Being out on the water makes it all worth it though. :)

Mrs. Pie said...

I love those pictures of mini matt and michael with the life vests in front of the boat. You should hunt those down and post them with your next mention of the boat.