Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Officially Enrolled


I went to talk with an adviser today and am now signed up for my first graduate-level course. (Hooray for me). I feel like pulling an Amanda and telling everyone that they are now free to worship and adore me. ;)

I'm particularly excited about it because I've been talking about getting a master's degree for almost 5 years now. The timing has really worked out. Matt's been finished (at least for now) with school for a year and a half, we have the money to pay for my tuition upfront, and I'm at a company that encourages and will work with me to pursue higher education - they offer flex time so that I can make up hours missed due to class and will reimburse my tuition and fees. Since I'm just going part-time, it'll take me a few years to finish, but I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm also excited because I feel like I've finally picked a "specialization" that I can enjoy: radar theory. I know I'm a giant geek, but I've really liked the work that I've done for the past couple of years and know that this area has a lot of potential for me. On top of that, my paternal grandfather was one of the first "radar guys" on the arsenal, and even though I never got to know him very well (he died when I was 4), I feel like he'd be proud to have a granddaughter interested in the same kind of technical work as him.

So, if you want to talk white noise and range-doppler coupling, feel free to strike up a conversation. I may not understand what you're talking about, but I'll at least nod and pretend I do.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm very proud of you (and impressed!) Diane

Lynne said...

Yes, your grandfather would be proud to see you carry the radar torch! Isn't school fun?

RBecks said...

Thanks! Since my dad has also done some radar work, I think it must run in the family. 3 generations - weird. I can't wait to buy school supplies again (haha) but am more looking forward to learning about this stuff in greater detail.

Charlie said...

Dear Rebecca -

Congratulations! Enjoy your studies.

Cordially,

Charlie

Mrs. Pie said...

Wait, you're going back to school and getting a bigger degree in lieu of having a million kids?? (GASP)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I am so excited for you. I love that you have something that you care about and want to learn more about it. How exciting school and work will be because of it!

RBecks said...

Charlie and Susan - thanks! I really can't wait to start... I'm such a dork.

Manda - don't worry, I have some zingers saved up for the next time I get the "why in the world haven't you had a baby YET?!" harassment. ;)