Monday, November 24, 2008

If I Could Do Anything

I've been thinking a lot lately about what kinds of jobs I'd like to have if I could do whatever I wanted (this includes being gifted with the talents necessary to do these jobs). This isn't to say that I don't love my work - I really do - it's just that I think there are a lot of things I would love to do (at least in my mind, anyway).

Here are some of them, in no particular order:

1. Political Writer/Analyst/Columnist. Michelle Malkin is my new hero. I love reading her stuff and I just love her logical method of presenting what is going on in the political spectrum to her readers. I have grown more and more interested in politics over the past several years and I think it would be a lot of fun to spend my time researching current votes and bills and giving my opinion about them - just without all of the hate mail.

2. High school math teacher. I don't know why, but I've always been able to imagine myself as a high school math teacher. I think I'd especially enjoy teaching algebra and geometry. Maybe it's because I had really good teachers for those classes, but I have also thought that it would be really rewarding to be able to become a good math teacher and find a way to make the basics understandable to students. I even delayed getting an EE master's for a while because I debated getting a Math masters instead so that I could teach later on if I wanted to.

3. Architect. All of those personality/career-path tests have always said that I should be an engineer or an architect. As a kid, I loved making my own dream home floor plans. I also played with Legos a LOT. I know a lot of people who played with Legos, but not so many who spent countless hours designing house layouts.

4. U.S. Senator or Congressman. I think we have a couple of pretty good senators for our state, but boy are there a lot of crooks out there - both Republican and Democrats alike (Stevens, Rangel, Murtha, Jefferson - I'm looking at you!). I just cannot understand how these stooges keep getting re-elected. I guess felony convictions, tax evasion, slander, and getting caught with bribe money in your freezer qualify you for public office. I think I'd enjoy debating new bills and making decisions as honestly and fairly as possible, and hopefully with at least a small dose of common sense.

5. Tent maker. I don't really mean a "tent maker", just that I wish I had a profession that could be used anywhere in the world. I admire a lot of missionaries who not only move across the globe to evangelize, but to serve. There are many places where the people are not only spiritually in need, but physically in need too. Sometimes I wish that I were able to use my profession in any part of the world to be a self-supported missionary and serve these people. I guess I've kind of come to terms with the fact that I feel called to "send" rather than to "go" (at least for now).

6. "In Charge". This is probably the one that I say the most often. Whenever I see Congress making stupid decisions or when I'm driving behind an idiot driver, I always think, "Man, if only I were in charge!" I wouldn't necessarily want everyone to know I was in charge, just to have the ability to make things happen the way I wanted anonymously. When that jerk cuts me off or pokes around in the fast lane, I'd make them become a conscientious driver. Whenever an asinine proposal was made to Congress, I would squash it like a bug. When my neighbors broke out the tacky Christmas lawn ornaments, they'd immediately be given some good taste. Cue my evil laugh: Muwahahaha!

I you had several lifetimes worth of careers to choose from, what would you choose?

No comments: