
I watched a segment on CBS Sunday Morning several weeks ago that featured Alice Waters. Alice Waters, a chef in San Francisco, has worked with schools across the country to setup "Edible Schoolyards", which are vegetable gardens planted and maintained by school children. The students learn how to grow and cook their own food. I don't think that it's practical to have them in every school (how could we afford it everywhere), but I do think it's a wonderful idea and should be encouraged where feasible.
Anyway, Alice Waters is just one of several people who has been campaigning for a vegetable garden at the White House for years. "I have been talking nonstop about the symbolism of an edible landscape at the White House. I think it says everything about stewardship of the land and about the nourishment of a nation," Waters said.
I agree. I think that the White House landscape should be known for more than its beautiful rose garden. It sets an example for the rest of the country and what better place than the White House to have its own fresh food supply?

Well, last week, Michelle Obama broke ground with a group of local school children on a new White House vegetable garden. The Washington Post writes:
"The Obamas' garden will not be the first at the White House. John Adams, the first tenant, planted a garden shortly after taking up residence in 1800. Woodrow Wilson brought in sheep to mow and fertilize the White House lawn in 1918, an effort to conserve resources for the war effort. In 1943, over the objection of the Agriculture Department, Eleanor Roosevelt planted a victory garden, inspiring millions of Americans to grow their own food during World War II.
"Recent efforts have been more modest. Jimmy Carter, a Georgia farmer who extolled the virtues of gardening during his campaign, declined calls in 1978 to plant a vegetable garden at the White House. During the Clinton years, a small garden was planted on the roof; the White House rejected the idea of a larger garden on the lawn, saying it was not in keeping with the formal nature of the White House grounds."
The garden will be used by the White House Kitchen to feed the First Family and will also be used to supply food for Miriam's Kitchen, which feeds the homeless of Washington, D. C.
I think this is a wonderful project!
6 comments:
Dear Rebecca -
I completely disagree with you. You are wrong on this one.
I think the White House should be sold to private developers, and the sale proceeds used to pay down the national debt.
Yabba dabba doo,
Charlie
Charlie,
Surely you jest.
In case you're serious, I must say that I disagree with your statement. The White House should absolutely not be sold to private developers. What a bad precedent to set - it would say that we can sell our national treasures and landmarks to make up for the fiscal irresponsibility of our government's spending! Instead, we should have sober leaders who actively work to decrease the national debt instead of increase it.
Dear Rebecca -
Yes, I jest.
And, you're right, the Obamas' garden sounds like a wonderful project, worthy of commendation.
FYI - Lynne and I occasionally join preservation societies, so we're interested in retaining and protecting our national treasures. Still, a "For Sale" sign in front of the White House did seem amusing to me. And, who knows? The way things are going, we may one day need a national fire sale.
And, thank you for the history of the White House garden. Very interesting stuff.
Cordially,
Charlie
I'm just curious to know how much that garden will cost the tax payers when Mrs.Obama decides she doesn't want to work it anymore...hc
C - The Yabba Dabba sign off was a good indicator. Plus, I figured you'd never really advocate selling off our national treasures.
HC - I'm sure Mrs. Obama won't be working the garden much anyway. Have you seen the design for it? It's huge! But, I'm sure it still costs less than the new sod proposed for the national mall. ($21 mil if my memory serves correct).
I'm all for sober leaders over the drunken ones.
and I like carrots, but I know Roosty would eat them.
Post a Comment