Every Democrat elected governor of Illinois since 1960 has either gone to jail or been impeached.
WOAH! Is this true? Can anyone verify this?
I don't consider myself a Republican, but I also don't consider myself a Democrat. And if I lived in Illinois, I would definitely not be voting for any of those hooligans.
2 comments:
Dear Rebecca -
This is true (excepting Pat Quinn, the current governor).
But the truth needs context.
These Illinois governors have gone to jail since 1960: Otto Kerner (D), Dan Walker (D), and George Ryan (R).
William Stratton (R) was indicted after leaving office but acquitted. Prior to 1960, Lennington Small (R) was also indicted and acquitted.
I believe Rod Blagojevich (D) is the only Illinois governor to be impeached and subsequently removed from office. (Of course you can be impeached and remain in office, e.g., Andrew Johnson and William Clinton.) Prior to 2009, you have to go back to 1832 to find an impeached Illinois state official, an associate justice who was later acquitted.
As far as I know, Samuel Shapiro (D) was never indicted, but he was unelected.
In the last 49 years Democrats have controlled the Illinois statehouse for only 18 years.
Three of the last seven governors have gone to jail, two Democrats and one Republican - so neither party is squeaky clean, to say the least.
Cordially,
Charlie
Charlie -
Thanks for the info!! I should have put... can anyone (Charlie) verify this? :)
It sounds like I wouldn't have wanted to vote for any of those democrat OR republican gubernatorial candidates in IL over the last 50 years!
Post a Comment