
The other day, Matt and I were talking about beer and how differently I feel about the brew from when we first met over eight years ago.
Back in college, I hated beer. Being a girl, I defaulted out of the masculine you-should-drink-beer-and-like-it thing at social gatherings and could happily stick to some sort of pink, sugary concoction.
Once I got married, and moved to Texas where I had no friends with hunch punch, I was left alone with my new beer-drinking husband.
It's not that Matt is a big drinker, but he does like a beer with certain foods (pizza, Mexican, hot wings), and I had to put up with his beer breath on occasion. I was probably complaining about this when my mom told me that she would sometimes take a sip of whatever my dad was drinking so she didn't have to smell it. Hmm.
I tried it. I still didn't like the taste, but the beer breath was gone.
The next time, Matt had a different beer - something milder. Not as bad. I think he tried a couple until he found one that I actually didn't mind so much... Shiner Light, a Texas staple. Voila! My first (enjoyed) beer.
Over the past (almost) five years of married life, Matt has introduced me to a variety of brews and now there are a few that I actually have a distinct craving for once in a while. He says that I've surprised him and am branching out, even if I can't quite keep up with his eclectic beer tastes. (I like Heineken now, but still won't touch Grolsch... yuck!)

We were trying to figure out my top five favorites and realized the number would have to be a top 10... can't pick just five any more.
In no particular order:
- Killian's Irish Red - a little sweet, but not too sweet, with a kick. To satisfy my Scotts-Irish background.
- Old Towne Amber (the local burned-down-brewery is back to brewing, but we haven't found it widely available yet)
- Dos Equis Amber (a staple with Bandito Burrito's No Carne Burritos)
- Modelo Negro (another fave with Mexican food)
- Corona (with lime, of course!)
- Michelob Cactus Lime (the only one I like that Matt doesn't - HP got me hooked)
- Sam Adam's seasonal/specialty brews (Hefeveizen, Summer Ale, Brown Ale, Honey Porter, Oktoberfest, etc.) - except for the Cranberry Lambic... shudder
- New Castle Brown Ale (definitely a top pick, a good beer for those who aren't sure they like beer. AmberBock is another good one kind of like it)
- Yuengling Traditional Lager (in case you thought I was getting to be a beer snob; my favorite cheap domestic)
- Shiner Light (can't find it here), Shiner Blonde, or Shiner Hefeveizen
I've never thought of myself as a beer girl, but I guess I do like a cold beer now and then. I sure am glad that I'm no baptist!
3 comments:
That's funny, Becca, because that's how I started learning to appreciate beer--couple of sips at a time of Stacy's beer. Unfortunately I think I'm a beer snob--no Bud Lite for me. I'd have to say that Sam Adam's Boston Lager is probably my favorite beer.
Ha ha. Glad I'm not alone! :)
I likes the root beer.
Post a Comment