Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Atypical Typical Engineer


I got my GRE scores back!

While all of my scores were decent, I thought it was kind of funny when I checked out the mean test scores classified by "broad intended graduate major field".

Next to business students, engineers score the lowest on the analytical writing section of the test, and are right in the middle for their average verbal reasoning scores. While my quantitative (math) scores were on target for my field, my verbal and writing scores were a good bit above the engineering average. In fact, as far as percentiles go, my writing score was the highest of all three categories.

I'm not sure if I should be excited about that or not... does it imply that I'm ahead of the curve, or that the average engineer is behind it??

Matt says that he thinks the average engineer is not known for his skills with the English language. I don't think I'm particularly gifted myself, but I guess I am capable enough - enough that I always got stuck writing the lab reports while my partners were the guys that knew how to wire our circuit before class had even started. I guess everyone has their own strengths (and weaknesses).

2 comments:

Jenny Fleming said...

you're just a girl genius. tell everyone to deal with it.

RBecks said...

Ha Ha. :) Not a genius... I wasn't even on the curve for an average Ivy League admissions chart I found. Oh well. I'll settle for above average. :o)