When I gave you up, I hardly knew how I'd survive. For the last year, I've tried to find substitutes to fill the void, but it just hasn't been the same.
Now that you miraculously appeared, I am reminded how much I loved you.
I admit it, I'm addicted.
To my satellite radio.
It's sad.
When we sold my hardtop convertible last fall in favor of a more "responsible" 4-door sedan ("mom" car?), we turned off the SiriusXM radio in the old car and didn't renew it in the sedan.
It really sucked, but I have somehow managed to survive without satellite radio. In fact, I used to think that paying for radio was ridiculous. I mean, who PAYS for radio?! When we bought the Eos, it came with a free trial of Sirius satellite radio, and I became hooked.
They started charging me quarterly.
And I never cancelled.
Until we sold the Eos.
For the last year, I've just been listening to regular radio, often to my own disgust. Much to my chagrin, the local rock station that used to broadcast Auburn football games and "Rick and Bubba" (I'm providing these as two examples of their good taste and family values) was now inundating me with live interviews of "adult entertainment stars" and constant strip club ads.
Yuck.
Who wants to listen to that? I guess some people, but not me.
Can't a girl just get ACDC without the smut?
Maybe that's an oxymoron.
Anyway, Anne Marie and I have managed survive with just NPR on the way to "Big Daddy's" in the morning, but it just wasn't quite the same. It's hard to jam out when you're tuned into "All Things Considered".
And then SiriusXM had to go and turn my satellite radio back on for a free trial.
Crap.
Congratulations, SiriusXM guys. Your marketing ploy works on this sucker. I am unable to give you up.
I LOVE having it back on. I've missed my music. I've missed the decided lack of "smut" from the local radio guys, and I've definitely missed the bass of the (standard-equipped, but very capable) speaker system in my car.
I've miss how GOOD the music actually sounds in my car.
I think Anne Marie likes it too. She's cried a whole lot less in the car the last two weeks than she ever has. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that her system is now pretty clear of dairy/soy, and that it's really all due to the introduction of Muse, XX, and Arcade Fire into her audial repertoire.
So, what to do? I went back and forth about it, but just couldn't justify paying full price for radio, no matter how much I love it. For a girl too cheap to get cable TV, ~$200 a year for radio is just another luxury that I can forgo.
Then they offered five months for $25. I took the offer, and just knowing how it worked out last time, I'll probably "forget" to cancel at the end of the term.
Honey, if you're reading this, they said that they'd give us a whole year for $7/mo if you call before the end of my 5 month special offer. :o)
No comments:
Post a Comment