Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Babies' Baptism






On Sunday, we were able to celebrate the baptisms of Anne Marie, Emmett, and John Calvin Jr (the son of two wonderful friends). 

The day was just about as perfect as I could have hoped for - beautiful weather and lots of friends and family to rejoice with us as we committed our children to Christ.

It was hard for me to keep in mind that the day was not about me - not about how Anne Marie, Matt, or I looked, what outfits we wore, what food we served for lunch, who sat where, but about proclaiming God's covenant with our family and dedicating our child to Him.  


Why do we baptize our children?

We believe that baptism is a sign of God's covenant with us an we claim that covenant on behalf of our children.  We don't believe that it saves our children, is a requirement or means of salvation, or that it is a guarantee that they will grow into the faith that we profess.

There are instances in the New Testament of people being baptized as they came into the faith, their entire households with them. 
31 And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.” 32 And they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all who were in his house. 33 And he took them the same hour of the night and washed their wounds; and he was baptized at once, he and all his family.
Acts 16:31-33


The vows we take as parents are as follows:
1. Do you acknowledge your child’s need of the cleansing blood of Jesus Christ, and the renewing grace of the Holy Spirit?
2. Do you claim God’s covenant promises in (his) behalf, and do you look in faith to the Lord Jesus Christ for (his) salvation, as you do for your own?
3. Do you now unreservedly dedicate your child to God, and promise, in humble reliance upon divine grace, that you will endeavor to set before (him) a godly example, that you will pray with and for (him), that you will teach (him) the doctrines of our holy religion, and that you will strive, by all the means of God’s appointment, to bring (him) up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord?
I also appreciate the vow that the congregation takes, to assist the parents in bringing up the child in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. 

We'd been waiting to baptize Anne Marie so that she and Emmett could be baptized together.  This is such a special sign of our faith that we wanted to share it with all our families and celebrate together.



My prayer is that Emmett and Anne Marie will grow up together, never knowing a day without Christ as their Lord and Savior.  That they will always be surrounded by loving friends and family that set excellent examples of living out their faith.

I've been waiting so long to be able to baptize these precious babies together.  I figured that I would be a mess when it came time, that I would be a ball of tears, but I think that I was too distracted with trying to make sure Anne Marie didn't pitch a good fit in front of the entire congregation that the gravity of the moment didn't hit me until it was over. 

It's probably not such a bad thing because I did not anticipate any tears on my wedding day and became a big sobbing mess the moment my father and I stepped into the sanctuary.  I couldn't see where I was going the whole way down the aisle and ended up rushing to the altar, hot with embarrassment at the onslaught of unanticipated emotion. 


The baptismal gown that Anne Marie wore is very special.  Matt's uncles and mother, as well as both Matt and his brother, Michael, were all baptized in the same gown.  Matt's grandmother saved up to purchase the hand made gown for her first child and it is absolutely beautiful.  My mother-in-law gave it to me at my baby shower and I am thrilled to be able to pass on such a special family heirloom. 

The detail is just gorgeous.  (Please excuse how wrinkled it was after a full day's wear by AM... I'm still unsure how to wash and save such an important piece of fabric).

2 comments:

Jenny Fleming said...

Y'all look beautiful!

Mrs. Pie said...

Such a great day. E says he wants to wear that dress.