Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Labor of Quilted Love

Pink monogrammed "H" in lieu of a real 3-letter monogram 
(yes, still no name, and we're really running out of time as I'm now "past due".)

My extremely talented sister made me the most gorgeous, cheerful, beautiful, happy quilt.

One of the first things she said to me after finding out we were having a girl was, "now you need to pick out your fabric!" After hours of searching online and a fruitless trip to a couple of local fabric stores (what's up with local quilting fabric selections being so full of "old lady" fabric patterns?), we settled on this collection:  Taza by Dena Designs.

I LOVE the fabrics and colors and knew that it would make a really cheery quilt without becoming a "pink explosion".  Amanda had been eying this quilt pattern and was just as enthusiastic about making it for me as I was to see it all come together.

Manda has made several quilts so far, each one better than the previous.  I must admit that I had some serious lust for the quilt she made for Amy four years ago and was tempted to steal it.  I was thrilled to finally get my own Manda creation (Oh, wait.  This quilt is for my baby.  Does that mean it's not really mine?...)

Baby Girl's quilt and coordinating crib skirt (more on that below).

Since Baby Girl isn't really supposed to sleep with bedding for a little while, and to help protect it from spit up for as long as possible, I'd like to hang the quilt on the wall above the crib.  Anyone have any experience in that department?
 
The back side. (Sorry it appears so washed out here - the colors are much more vivid in person)

I am so thrilled about this quilt, I can't even begin to tell you.  I know it took a lot of time and effort to put together and will be something that we and Baby Girl will cherish for a lifetime.  I still have my baby blanket folded up in my closet.  The pink quilted Strawberry Shortcake blanket was a constant fixture in my bedroom until I was about 8 (well, actually, it stayed folded up on my bed until I got married, when Matt told me I had to stop sleeping with my BABY BLANKET!  ...I can't believe I just admitted that!).

I spent Sunday afternoon (nothing like waiting until the last minute, huh?) sewing a very simple crib skirt, using two of the patterns from the fabric collection Amanda used in the quilt.

 
Y'all, I'm not crafty.  And it's been probably 15 years since I've used a sewing machine, so the fact that this came out so well is just a testament to its simplicity.

Either way, I'm pretty happy about it.

So, while I'm at it, here's a look around the former office-now-nursery:



The only real changes we made were that shelf with the baskets, a ceiling fan, shelves in the closet/stairwell, and the curtains (ikea).


I ordered the crib, changing dresser and side table from J.C. Penney.  All three are solid wood and very well built. I got a great deal on them too!  We already had the chair and bookshelf, and we ordered the glider on sale from Babies R Us.

We left the walls their neutral green color.  After this (and any possible future) child(ren), this room will revert back to an office, and I didn't want to have to paint it multiple times.  Besides, I really like the green.  :)


We may do something with those french doors if needed - like applying translucent film to the glass or adding blinds.  We're kind of holding off on that for now to see what we'll really need.

I'm really happy with how it all turned out.  We've been pretty low stress about this baby prep thing and have tried to keep it all as easy and simple as possible.  I think we were pretty successful at doing that (and keeping our costs to a minimum, always a plus!).

One of my favorite parts about the room are all of the handmade gifts, lovingly created by dear friends.

Hanging on the wall is a pink dress made by Jennifer M.  It's absolutely beautiful, and of heirloom quality.

Closeup of the monogram detail on the pink dress, which now hangs on the wall next to the crib.

I was speechless at my baby shower when I received not one, but two, breathtakingly beautiful quilts.  They're currently folded over the chair and glider in the nursery and I can't wait to wrap Baby Girl up in them!

Quilts made by Sandra K.(left)  and Jennifer H (right).

Now we just need to get Baby Girl with the program so that she can make use of this room!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

These were the good ol' days of your blog. :( So sad that they are behind us... you need to update, young lady!