Thursday, August 18, 2011

Update Extravaganza

What all have we been up to in the last several months?  I have hardly updated this blog since my short stint as a temporal resident of the commonwealth of Virginia!

We survived the tornadoes and actually enjoyed "suffering" through a week with no power.  We came out of it alive (and Matt with a shiny new chainsaw, which he convinced me he really needed as his sputtered while helping our friends).

We took the trip that I have been dreaming of since we got married.  We decided to just go ahead, bite the bullet, and go to Spain.  This deserves a whole post of its own, even if it is quite belated.


We celebrated our seventh wedding anniversary.  We have been careful to stay well stocked with hydrocortizone and have thankfully not suffered much itching so far.

We've spent a lot of time with Mr. and Mrs. Pie, plus these two jokers, Staci and David.  They make me laugh and we love them.  It's a good thing, too, since Staci is my officemate and has to put up with me for the majority of her waking hours during the week!


As I mentioned in a previous post, we moved several months ago to a place with a bit more yard.

Matt built me a raised bed as the center of my very first vegetable garden!  I can say that it has been a success as we've been enjoying the fruits of our labor for a few months now.  It has not been a success if you consider the fact that we have lost several squash plants to squash bugs and didn't have ripe tomatoes until about three weeks ago, but the excitement garnered from our very first cucumber and zucchini in May made this endeavor worth any later heartaches.



Along with the success of my vegetable garden, the first major casualty also occurred. We lost the two large trees in our front yard in the tornadoes, and planted three in their places.  The littlest, a white dogwood, croaked after putting up a fair fight through this hot summer.


To help make up for the fact that we moved away from all of the flower beds (and the sweat lost installing them over the years), I planted a bazillion zinnia along my new vegetable patch.

I've really been enjoying these babies.


We still have not even de-winterized the boat.  It has sat alone and forgotten for months now, the complete opposite from last summer.

I'd hate to take that cover off now... I'm sure it needs a good scrub underneath and some mildew remover.  Ughh.


It's hard to want to take the boat out when you have this waiting for you in the back yard.  (I've really been enjoying this view)


My husband earned his competition license and has been competitively (amateurly, not professionally) racing his track car.


He did this recently...


...don't tell him I showed you that.

We've been enjoying (and normally not strangling) this guy.   He's really settled in over the last year.  He's running with Dr.Charles several days a week as Charlie trains for a marathon. 


And last, but not least, I finished up my coursework and am now trying to nail down a thesis topic.  I am excited about scheduling this work on my own terms - but also praying that it will not become too burdensome.

I'm actually really looking forward to digging deep into a problem and (hopefully) coming out on the other end with a somewhat extensive knowledge of that specific area.  


1 comment:

Jenny Fleming said...

you. two. are. busy. the. end.