Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Official Virginian

Helllooo.  I'm safe and sound in Virginia!

I don't have time for a long post, so this will just be a quick update.

My sisters, Amanda and Amy, rode up with me and spent the weekend seeing some of the sights.  We left Thursday after lunch and stayed the night in Atlanta with my roommate from college and her husband.  


We went through Atlanta because Matt had a track weekend with his brother and we needed to drop him off on the way since  I was stealing his tow vehicle for three months.  We towed the track car behind our packed-to-the-roof SUV, loaded with all of my clothes, four people, two dogs, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Friday morning, the girls and I all headed the rest of the way up to Virginia.  What a gorgeous drive!  I wanted to take photos out of the windows a million times, but I was the only one able to drive a manual transmission.

We ran around Charlottesville on Saturday (more on all that later) and then shopped till we dropped in Williamsburg on Sunday.  I dropped the girls off at the airport in Richmond on Sunday evening and headed to my apartment for the start of my stint flying solo.

On Monday, I started my temporary work assignment.  There were some problems with my paperwork and access to the building, so I will go back over this afternoon but can't really start until (hopefully) Wednesday morning.

That's okay though, since I have four homework assignments and plenty of missed class to catch up on.

I quickly realized that our 400 (shared) minutes/month cell phone plan is not going to cut it for the first time since we started sharing a cell phone plan when we first got married six and a half years ago!  I updated my plan, but unfortunately it doesn't take affect until December.  They really know how to get you on that, don't they?!

In the mean time, I'm trying to figure out how to set up skype.  I've got to get a webcam and microphone since my work laptop didn't have one.  Anybody else use skype?  Is it pretty straight forward?

I'm slowly settling in and have a constant shopping list.  I think I've been to Walmart three times already and need to go back again today. My furnished apartment came with dish detergent, but not a chopping board.  I had spare light bulbs, but no modem. Just those mundane tasks associated with moving into a new place.

So, I have a million things to do, and will have to post a more thorough update later.

Until then, here's the beautiful view from my front porch...

6 comments:

Jenny Fleming said...

So glad your sistas came up with you. I don't skype, so no advice on that. The grandmothers would love it, but I refuse for that reason.

Keep the blog updated because we miss you in Bama!!

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking about you and thought I would check and see if you had posted anything. So glad you made it there, that your sisters went with you, and that you had a little time to catch up on your classwork. Thinking about you!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Great front porch!!! Sam and I are thinking about you and praying for you!

Ashley Willkes' Daddy said...

Beaten to the punch by my daughters.

Aunt Angelia said...

Hey Bec Bec! Beautiful view of the mountains from your porch. :) Enjoy the fall colors. Love, Aunt Angelia

RBecks said...

Jenny - come bring Isaac to Virginia.

Susan and Renee - I'm going to miss seeing you and your sweet families each Sunday!

HK - We'll go again when you come visit. I could do the tour multiple times.

Angelia - it IS pretty! I want to go out and take some photos on campus today after church. :o)

Love y'all!