After our last successful weim fostering experience, Matt finally caved and let me get a new foster dog.
Boy, was I in for a surprise! In a lot of ways, she's is completely different from Charlie. She's sleek, high-strung, graceful, very energetic, and likes to antagonize Tyson and Ace. In other ways, they are a lot alike. Both are stubborn, sneaky, and quite affectionate.
Even though she has about 100 times more energy than Charlie, I think she's actually a bit easier to handle. For one simple reason... she's crate-trained! She goes right into her crate, lies down calmly, and often falls asleep. We can put her in there while we eat dinner, vacuum, or when she gets too excited. She's definitely got the potential to be a bit more destructive than Charlie ever was (he could be left alone inside all day with no problems), but it's nice to be able to put her in the crate and not worry about what she could be destroying while I'm at work.
Cypress, like Charlie, came into rescue heartworm positive. The Southeast is one of the worst places for heartworm infection. I don't know why people don't use heartworm prevention! It's so easy, and fairly inexpensive. The treatment is not. It's also very hard on the dogs (they have to be confined with no physical activity for two months).
These two spend most of their time wishing they had the other's bone/chewie/toy/etc.
Cypress's heartworm infection is the only reason I can think of that someone might have turned her into a shelter (a kill shelter, no less). Someone has obviously spent some time with her. Besides the crate-training, she also knows sit, stay, and go away. She's been a pleasure to have around the house. She's a little bit alpha, and tends to harass "the boys" a bit, but she's still a very sweet dog. She's also beautiful. I could watch her run for hours, she's just so gorgeous.
Come over and meet her!
3 comments:
She is definitely a beautiful dog.
Marble says all Cypress needs is shorter legs, some dappling, an underbite, and to be about 75 pounds smaller, and she would be perfect.
"Gaylord", now there is a name that has gone out of fashion. (at least for people.... I wonder why?)
What a sweetie pie! If only my hubby hasn't threatened me already about "No More ANimals!". I enjoy watching Charlie and his new sista Bella walking around the neighborhood with his new owners :o)
I think of the movie "Meet the Parents" when I hear the name Gaylord!
Her look of sweet innocence doesn't convey her true level of sneaky.
Post a Comment